When we talk about superfoods we often refer to foods that come from distant countries. Think for example of Chia seeds and Goji berries: rich in nutrients such as AGE, proteins, antioxidants. These foods have indisputable beneficial effects on our body but also have a rather high cost and therefore not within everyone's reach.
Perhaps not everyone knows that there are also "local" superfoods that can be easily prepared at home without the need for large equipment: let's talk about sprouts, or seeds that are sprouted.
Yes they can sprout lentils, chickpeas, azuki beans, soybeans, flax seeds, cress seeds, rocket, rice, barley, buckwheat, millet, oats, rye, etc.
Sprouts can be called superfoods and should be consumed more frequently for at least 3 different reasons. Let's see which ones.
1. They are rich in enzymes.
The sprouts contain essential enzymes for the correct development of biochemical reactions within our body and above all to have an efficient digestion and to be able to properly absorb nutrients. As we age, due to stress and poor nutrition, our body often does not produce enough enzymes. This is why introducing them into your diet is really important.
2. They contain a high amount of antioxidants and nutrients.
3. They have alkalizing properties.
Sprouts are excellent alkalizing foods (tissue alkalization) therefore useful for restoring balance and defeating acidosis. Tissue acidosis causes a shift in tissue pH in an acidic direction and is often the cause of inflammatory disorders that affect various parts of our body. Recurring headaches, eczema and other skin problems, wandering bone and joint pain, inflammation, etc. they may be manifestations of tissue acidosis. To combat it, it is essential to change your diet and sprouts can really prove to be of great help.
Also discover the properties and benefits of cress sprouts
How to add them to our meals
The sprouts can be eaten both raw and cooked, in different preparations:
- As an aperitif, seasoned with olive oil and salt.
- Adding them to salads, minestrone and soups (but also in sandwiches)
- By centrifuging them together with fruit and vegetables.
Sprouts are inexpensive and can be produced at home in a simple way with the help of a sprouter (average price € 20) but also with a simple colander or colander. You must proceed as follows:
- Leave the selected seed to soak overnight.
- In the morning rinse with fresh water and repeat the operation every 12 hours for 3-4 days.
Between the various rinses, the seeds should preferably be stored in a dark place, taking care that there are no stagnations of water.
- The shoots are ready when they reach about 3-4 cm in length.
- It would be good to leave them in the sun for a while before consuming them to increase the chlorophyll content.
As we have already seen, different seeds can be sprouted at home: chickpeas, azuki beans, soybeans, linseeds, lentils, watercress seeds, rocket, rice, barley, buckwheat, millet, oats, etc. Buy organic and unhulled products.
The properties and benefits of azuki bean sprouts