What Are Multivitamin Supplements?
Multivitamin supplements are food supplements based on different types of vitamins, essential nutrients for the functioning and well-being of the organism.
Within these products, vitamins are contained in a concentration that satisfies the individual's daily nutritional needs.
Multivitamin supplements can be formulated in different forms, of course, to be taken orally. These include tablets, capsules, powders and solutions.
What Do Multivitamin Supplements Contain?
Multivitamin supplements contain a blend of different vitamins that perform multiple activities within the body. The most commonly used in supplements are:
- Vitamin A: it is a vitamin involved in numerous functions of the organism and equipped with a powerful antioxidant effect. In particular, vitamin A is essential:
- For the proper functioning of sight (including twilight vision);
- For sexual maturation in adolescents;
- For adult fertility.
- B vitamins: there are eight B vitamins in total (B1, B2, B3 or PP, B5, B6, B8 or H, B9 or folate, B12). These are nutrients capable of performing numerous functions, as different as they are important and essential for the body. In detail, they mainly play a role of coenzymes in various cellular and metabolic processes and are involved:
- In the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, amino acids, etc .;
- In the synthesis of cholesterol and steroid hormones;
- In the synthesis of nucleic acids;
- In the reproduction of red blood cells and white blood cells;
- In the proper functioning of the nervous system.
- Vitamin C: : also known as ascorbic acid, vitamin C is perhaps one of the best known vitamins due to its antioxidant activity, but its functions within the body are much wider. Among these, we mention some:
- Biosynthesis of collagen;
- Synthesis of neurotransmitters such as noradrenaline;
- Biosynthesis of bile acids;
- Intestinal absorption of iron;
- Promotes the use of selenium at physiological doses;
- Activation of folic acid in tetrahydrofolic acid (the biologically active form);
- Regulation of endogenous histamine levels;
- Protection - in association with vitamin E - from damage caused by free radicals;
- Stimulation of immune function (stimulation of the synthesis of interferons and immunoglobulins G and M).
- Vitamin D3: also known as calciferolo, vitamin D3 is widely known for its important functions in bone health. In fact, it is involved:
- In the absorption of calcium in the digestive system;
- In the deposition of calcium in the bone tissue;
- In the reabsorption of calcium and phosphorus in the proximal convoluted tubule (therefore, at the renal level).
- Vitamin E: vitamin E - o tocopherol, if you prefer - it stands out for its own strong antioxidant properties thanks to which it is capable of protect fabrics from the damages induced by free radicals. Going into more detail, this vitamin is able to:
- Protect cell membranes by hindering the peroxidation of membrane phospholipids;
- Protect lipoproteins from oxidation;
- Protect Vitamin A from oxidation.
- Vitamin KVitamin K is also involved in maintaining bone health, but it also plays an important role in the coagulation process.
In addition to the vitamins mentioned above, multivitamin supplements can be enriched with additional active ingredients, such as, for example:
- Mineral salts: these are other essential nutrients for the well-being of the organism. Among the best known and most used in supplements, we find:
- Soccer (it is essential for the well-being of bones and teeth; it also regulates the functioning of muscles and blood coagulation);
- Chrome (this nutrient appears to have hypoglycemic properties);
- Iron (nutrient involved in the synthesis of hemoglobin, it is essential for the transport of oxygen in the blood; at the same time, it is also involved in the synthesis of collagen, in the metabolism of nucleic acids and in the processes of cellular respiration);
- Iodine (essential for the production of thyroid hormones);
- Magnesium (it is part of the composition of over 300 types of enzymes in the body, it is involved in energy metabolism and muscle function);
- Manganese (it is involved in many biological mechanisms useful for the health of the organism, such as, for example, coagulation, fertility, thyroid and immune system activity);
- Molybdenum (it mainly performs coenzymatic functions);
- Copper (it is involved in cellular respiration and facilitates the absorption of iron);
- Selenium (it is involved in the metabolism of thyroid hormones and is a cofactor of antioxidant enzymes that protect cell membranes from oxidative stress);
- Silicon (it is involved in the formation of some constituents of collagen, it also plays an important role in the metabolism of mitochondria and osteoblasts);
- Zinc (it is part of numerous enzyme complexes, is involved in energy metabolism, has antioxidant properties and contributes to the maintenance of normal cognitive functions, visual capacity and the immune system).
- Plant extracts containing molecules that may prove useful for supporting certain functions of the organism. Some examples of extracts used in supplements are: turmeric extracts (antioxidant properties), bilberry and cranberry extracts (antioxidant properties, support of visual and urinary function), ginseng extracts (adaptogenic properties) and green tea extracts (antioxidant properties).
- Other nutrients which can perform beneficial actions for the body, such as: amino acids; phospholipids (such as phosphatidylserine); flavonoids; carotenoids; etc.
Did you know that ...
On the market there are multivitamin supplements formulated by combining the aforementioned nutrients in a specific way to meet the needs of both sexes in different age groups (young people, adults, over 50, over 65, etc.).
Multivitamin supplements for men and womenMultivitamin and Multimineral Supplement | 365 Tablets (Up to 1 Year Supply) | 24 Vitamins and Minerals for Men and Women, Suitable for Vegetarians | Nu U Nutrition food supplements from € 20,97 Check out the offer
Nu U Nutricion's multivitamin supplement contains 24 vitamins and minerals and is also suitable for vegetarians. Each supplement tablet contains 100%, and sometimes more, of the recommended daily dose of 12 vitamins, which are as follows: Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Thiamine (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5), Zinc, Manganese, Chromium and Molybdenum. In each tablet are also present: Vitamin K, Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Iron, Copper, Selenium, Iodine and Lutein.
Nu U Nutricion's multivitamin supplement is Amazon's choice for this category.Yamamoto Nutrition Multi VITAMIN broad spectrum multivitamin food supplement with minerals 60 tablets of € 8,10 € 8,79 -8% Check offer
Multi VITAMIN by Yamamoto Nutrition is a vitamin and mineral supplement indicated in case of lack of intake with the diet or of increased need for the nutrients contained in it. Multi VITAMIN contains 26 active ingredients with the addition of lutein and antioxidants.
It is the best-selling product on Amazon for this particular category.MULTIVITAMIN with MINERAL SALTS Vegavero® | including Vitamin B12, D, Selenium and Folic Acid | THE ONLY ONE WITHOUT ADDITIVES | Vegan from € 21,90 Check out the offer
Vegavero offers Multivitamin Plus, a 100% German-made vitamin and mineral supplement. Multivitamin Plus contains: chromium, iron, iodine, selenium, vitamins B (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, B12), Vitamin C, D3, E, K2 and Zinc. It does not contain lactose or artificial additives. This multivitamin supplement helps to combat stress and fatigue, it helps both in the change of season and in the case of physical activity.
Multivitamin Plus is both an Amazon bestseller and an Amazon's Choice product.
Multivitamin supplements for Over 50 and Over 65Swisse Multivitamin Woman 50+ - 30 Tablets of € 14,00 Check out the offer Swisse Woman 65+ Multivitamin 30 Tablets of € 18,50 Check out the offer Multicentrum Mul0100017 / 2 Donna 50+ - 0.4 Kg da € 15,63 Check out the offer
There are specific supplements for those over 50 and 65, which adapt to the different needs of these two ages of life. Vitamins and Minerals help metabolism (B vitamins, vitamin C, magnesium and iron) and maintain bone well-being. They also favor hormonal activity, promote cognitive function and the production of collagen.Swisse Man 50+ Multivitamin Food Supplement 30 Tablets of € 14,75 Check out the offer Swisse Man 65+ Multivitamin Complex - 30 Tablets of € 12,90 Check out the offer
Why are they useful?
What are they for and why are multivitamin supplements useful?
Multivitamin supplements aim to supplement the diet, providing vitamins - and, depending on the product, also mineral salts, plant extracts and other nutrients - useful for support various functions of the organism, physical and psychic. In fact, as we have seen, the main constituents of multivitamin supplements are involved in numerous cellular and metabolic processes which are fundamental for the correct functioning of the organism.
However, it should be noted that multivitamin supplements are not intended as a substitute for correct lifestyle habits, rather they should be considered as the allies of a 'healthy nutrition useful for taking care of yourself and your well-being, both physical and mental.
In the presence of particular conditions (for example, particular allergies, pregnancy and breastfeeding, etc.), as well as in the presence of particular disorders or diseases and in the case of pharmacological therapies in place, before resorting to the use of multivitamin supplements, it is advisable ask your doctor for advice.
Sponsored Content: healthiergang.com features products and services that can be purchased online on Amazon and / or other e-commerce sites. Whenever a purchase is made through one of the links on the page, healthiergang.com could receive a commission from Amazon or from the other e-commerce companies mentioned. We inform you that the prices and availability of the products are not updated in real time and may change over time, so we invite you to check availability and price on Amazon and / or on other e-commerce mentioned.