La view it is one of our most important senses, which makes us autonomous, which provides us with a rapid perception of the reality that surrounds us.
Eye care is therefore essential and help us prevent degeneration and pathologies with simple vitamins to be introduced with food or supplements it's really that simple.
Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin and is naturally found in the form of retinol, or as a plant-based pro-vitamin in the form of carotenoids, which are transformed in the liver into vitamin A.
Vitamin A is contained in animal liver meat, cod liver oil, eggs and dairy products. Carotenoids are contained in orange-yellow fruits and vegetables such as apricots, carrots, peppers, but also in blueberries and berries and in green leafy vegetables such as lettuce, asparagus and broccoli.
Vitamin A is essential for sight, for cell differentiation, for the immune system, for the well-being of the skin, for the growth of teeth and bones.
- Shortage: in case of Vitamin A deficiency, skin problems may occur, easy exposure to infections and more or less severe visual disturbances, from nocturnal visual difficulties to dryness of the cornea and conjunctiva.
- Overdose: pay attention to the excess of vitamin A because it must eventually be integrated but never in higher quantities than our liver can synthesize it.
- Il correct daily dosage varies according to age: 0,4 mg -0,5 mg for children between 6 and 10 years, 0,6 mg for boys and women and 0,7 mg for men.
Vitamin C, otherwise called ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin, essential to the eyes for hers antioxidant properties which counteract the degenerative effects of free radicals on vision, such as cataracts and glaucoma, corneal ulcers.
We can find vitamin C in fresh fruit and raw or undercooked vegetables such as: grapes, currants, strawberries, kiwis, citrus fruits, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, parsley.
Vitamin C contributes to the absorption of iron and the production of red blood cells, and it is essential for the synthesis of collagen, a fundamental substance for the well-being of blood vessels, cartilages, joints and bones.
- Shortage: in case of vitamin C deficiency, dermatological problems, gingival weakness, anemia, epistaxis could occur.
- Overdose: excesses of vitamin C can cause gastritis and kidney stones, in general, however, since vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin, it is synthesized very quickly so that it hardly remains in our body and we have to replenish it very often.
- Il daily dosage it is around 60 mg for adults.
How to give well-being to the eyes
Vitamin E is fat-soluble in nature and comes in various forms, the most important being l'alpha-tocopherol. Like vitamin C, Vitamin E is also essential for her antioxidant properties; cit contrasts the degenerations of the ocular tissues such as the senile maculopathies, the strabismus, the atony of the ocular muscles.
We can find good doses of vitamin E in foods such as wheat germ oil, cereals, almonds, hazelnuts, olives, corn oil.
Vitamin E is deteriorated by freezing and too much heat, therefore it is good to pay attention to the type of preservation of the foods that contain it.
- Shortage: in case of vitamin E deficiency, forms of muscle weakness, asthenia, irritability may occur.
- Overdose : at high doses of vitamin E, hemorrhagic manifestations and platelet anticoagulation phenomena are possible, so be careful for those who take antiplatelet drugs, always ask for the doctor's opinion.
- Il daily dosage recommended is 8 mg per day for adults.
Also find out how to make blueberry tea for eye health
We protect eyesight with vitamin B complex
Vitamins of group B they represent an important protection for our whole organism, in particular vitamin B2, B6, B12, B9 play apreventive action against macular degeneration.
A correct supply of B vitamins comes from our diet: meat, eggs, liver, legumes, spinach. Deficiencies of B vitamins could cause burning, tearing and itching phenomena.
Therefore, let's not underestimate the vitamin deficiency in general, because many of our organs function properly with the correct dietary intake and in the case of particular dietary regimes, let's remember to take care of specific supplements.
Try these exercises and foods to maintain good eyesight
To learn more:
> Eyes, ailments and natural remedies