Cosmetics against Photo-Aging
I Sieri to vitamin C are anti-aging cosmetics, dedicated to those who love to take care of the skin of the face, preserving its natural beauty or fighting the small imperfections of time.
Le antioxidant, lightening and skin protective potential of vitamin C are skilfully exploited to formulate face serums, innovative latest generation cosmetics, aimed at postponing the appointment with photo-aging.
Applied to the skin using face serums, vitamin C is advantageous why:
- fights the action of free radicals;
- mitigates or prevents the formation of wrinkles;
- contreates the loss of skin tone;
- hides spots skin and other imperfections;
- acts in the deeper layers of the skin;
- idrata Skin;
- stimulates the cell renewal;
- helps to maintain the young skin long.
On the skin, vitamin C acts as a shield, acting as an effective protection between the skin and the external environment: the face serum is the most suitable tool to convey the molecule into the deeper layers of the epidermis, protecting it and preserving its natural beauty, that's why there are so many products for face and body based on vitamin C.
What is a Serum?
Velvety Face Fluid
Il siero is an innovative cosmetic dedicated to facial skincare, which appears as a velvety fluid to be applied to the skin in the form of drops.
The peculiarity of the serums lies in the formulation: each serum is a concentrate of active substances, reduced in micro-molecules, designed to quickly reach the deeper layers of the epidermis.
In most cases, serums are aqueous formulas, consisting precisely of water and water-soluble active ingredients, highly concentrated.The particular composition of the active ingredients favors a ultra-fast absorption of the product on the skin: in fact, just tap the serum on the face to allow the skin to absorb it immediately.
The formula of the serums is designed for act in association with the face cream used routinely: in fact, their main function is to enhance or enrich the activity of the cream usually used.
Applied after daily cleansing of the face and before the cream, the serum complete the beauty treatment and helps keep skin hydrated for longer.
The face serum completes the beauty routine of every day because:
- improves the absorption of the cream;
- rivitalizza and tones the skin of the face;
- idrata and protects the skin of the face;
- helps facial skin a keep yourself young.
Summary and Key Points
|Definition||The serum is a cosmetic designed for the well-being of the skin of the face, designed to complete the beauty treatment of every day.|
|Texture||Velvety and fluid, designed for a quick and easy application.|
|Formula||Aqueous, consisting of water and water-soluble active ingredients, highly concentrated and reduced in micro-molecules.|
|Absorption||Ultra-fast: to facilitate absorption, simply tap the product on the skin.|
|Main Function||Enhance or complete the action of the cream used for the face.|
Vitamin C and Citrus
Often, when you think of the "Vitamin C", they imagine citrus fruitsIt is no coincidence that lemons, oranges and grapefruits contain a wealth in terms of Vitamin C, a micronutrient popularly appreciated for its extraordinary properties antioxidants e anti-aging.
Vitamin C is known in chemistry by the expression "L-ascorbic acid".
The origin of the name dates back to the past, to the time when scurvy was discovered, a disease caused by a lack of vitamin C, which manifests itself in fatigue, bleeding and bruising.
Affected sailors, realizing that scurvy recognized its origin in a vitamin C deficiency, began to feed on lemons and citrus fruits, thus managing to remedy the disease.
Hence the name "ascorbic acid"with which vitamin C is recognized.
Vitamin C is a micronutrient essential for human health, i.e. a substance that must be taken from the outside in order for the body to benefit from it.
Method of Assumption
Vitamin C can be taken:
- through the power supply: not only citrus fruits, but also blueberries, kiwis, parsley, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, strawberries, tomatoes, grapes and peppers are dietary sources of vitamin C;
- through thespecific integration;
- by local (topical) application: Vitamin C is used to formulate creams, serums, masks or gels with antioxidant / anti-aging action.
Role in the Body
Vitamin C is an extremely important vitamin for human health, as it is involved in various metabolic functions:
- in synthesis of collagen, as it acts as a cofactor in various enzymatic reactions;
- in cellular protection from free radicals;
- in healing of the wounds;
- in the regulation ofgene expression;
- in immune reactions;
- in regeneration of other antioxidants (such as vitamin E).
Benefits for the Skin
Why Use Vitamin C Serum?
Considering that vitamin C is found in many fruits and vegetables, one might think that the skin can still benefit from it, simply, when we eat foods that are rich in it.
However, Research 1,2 showed that vitamin C is taken with food or with specific oral supplements however, it is not enough to bring appreciable benefits to the skin.
The absorption of vitamin C appears to be limited by active transport mechanisms in the intestine, consequently the use of Vitamin C creams and serums seems to represent the best way to ensure the skin has an adequate supply of vitamin C, keeping it healthy and bright, and protecting it from external aggressions.
Functions and Properties
Functions of Vitamin C on the Skin
Due to its properties, vitamin C is used to formulate mainly face and other serums cosmetics anti-aging think about protecting e rejuvenate damaged skin from the sun, free radicals and age.
In cosmetics, i vitamin C serums play important functions for the skin:
- are effective antioxidants, therefore, they act against photo / chrono-aging, protecting the skin from damage caused by free radicals produced by the sun and pollution;
- play a powerful anti-wrinkle effect;
- they are effective lighteners, that is, they work by making dark spots on the skin less visible.
Antioxidant Properties of Vitamin C Serums
Le antioxidant properties of vitamin C are used to combat photo-aging and chrono-aging:
- for "photo-aging"means skin aging mainly induced by exposure to the sun's rays;
- for "chrono-aging"we mean the physiological aging that we all face, regardless of smog, UV rays and other environmental factors.
Vitamin C is advertised as one of the best anti-aging substances; for this reason, it represents an excellent remedy designed to keep the skin smooth, luminous and uniform.
According to other sources, vitamin C is considered to be the most powerful antioxidant on the skin 3.
Vitamin C Serums against Photo-Aging of the skin
Numerous 4 studies confirm the real benefits of vitamin C applied via serums or creams for protect the skin from photo-aging, damage that - according to what emerges from Clinical and Experimental Dermatology 5 - is mostly related to free radicals.
The so-called "ROS"are the reactive oxygen species, produced on the skin in case of exposure to UVA and UVB rays.
ROS represent real harm for the skin, as they can generate a series of dangerous effects:
- alter cell membranes;
- damage DNA;
- they alter and inhibit the synthesis of collagen.
Such effects can cause a series of chain events, from the simplest wrinkle to the most serious manifestation of skin cancer 5.
Vitamin C Serums against Chrono-Aging of the skin
Chrono-aging is dictated by the laws of genetics.
Over time, the skin of each of us undergoes inevitable alterations:
- collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid are produced in smaller quantities, causing a loss of elasticity and hydration of the skin;
- adipose tissue (which has a supporting function) undergoes a drastic reduction, causing a progressive loss of skin tone and turgor.
Anti-Wrinkle Properties of Vitamin C Serums
Vitamin C has also been assigned an important role for fight wrinkles, therefore, the face serums that contain it can also be used effectively as an anti-wrinkle remedy.
In fact, it appears that L-ascorbic acid is an essential molecule for collagene biosynthesis:
- ascorbate is a cofactor for the hydroxylase of the enzymes involved in the transformation of protocollagen into collagen;
- ascorbic acid is also useful for preserving existing collagen production 6.
- ascorbate can indirectly stimulate collagen synthesis, activating its transcription and stabilizing the mRNA of protocollagen 7.
To confirm the anti-wrinkle properties of vitamin C, what emerges from a study 4 is reported, in which it was observed that the application of 10% topical ascorbic acid for 3 months on 19 subjects between 36 and 72 years with facial skin moderately photo-damaged generated a improvement effective on:
- wrinkles thin;
- roughness to the touch;
- laxity and skin tone;
- yellowing of the face
Lightening Properties of Vitamin C Serums
Vitamin C against skin spots
Vitamin C lightening serums are indicated to treat hyperpigmentation of the skin, such as solar lentigo or brown spots related to photo-aging.
Clinical Studies and Evidence
According to a study carried out in the Department of Dermatology (Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Japan) 8, it was observed that the application of vitamin C (used in the form of magnesium-L-ascorbic-phosphate) on human skin is effective for favor a evident clearing of melasma and freckles in 19 of the 34 patients analyzed.
Vitamin C in Face Serums
Despite its extraordinary potential, vitamin C must be included in the formulas of the serums taking into account some technical features, such as in particular:
- solubility in aqueous environment;
- poor stability to light and heat;
- low pH and high concentration;
- possible adverse reactions.
Vitamin C is a water-soluble molecule, that is soluble in an aqueous environment: most of the serums contain vitamin C in aqueous solution, which is clear and straw-colored.
Little Stable Vitamin
Vitamin C contained in serums is generally not very stable: exposed to light, heat and oxygen, L-ascorbic acid tends to lose its functionality in the skin.The loss of efficacy of ascorbic acid can be perceived through the simple observation of the formula which, from straw-colored, tends to turn to brown: a similar effect can be translated into a reduction of antioxidant capacity from the siero.
pH and Concentration
To allow vitamin C to express its functionality, it is important to respect pH and concentration.
Generally, in sera, ascorbic acid should meet the following parameters:
- pH acid (equal to or less than 3,5%);
- Concentration minimum of 8-10%.
Adverse Reactions Related to the Use of Vitamin C Serums
Usually, ascorbic acid is formulated at a concentration ranging from 8 to 20%, at a low pH (<3,5): on the one hand, these characteristics ensure a particularly powerful effect on the final product, but on the other hand they can cause a series of side effects such as localized irritation, redness and skin sensitization, especially for those suffering from very sensitive skin.
A concentration of ascorbic acid of 20% could not only cause irritation or sensitization of the skin, but could even frustrate the functionality of the vitamin, providing no benefit 9 to the skin.
The solution to avoid similar side effects is to be found in replacement of vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid with others more delicate shapes, such as:
- magnesium ascorbyl phosphate;
- sodium ascorbyl phosphate;
- ascorbyl palmitate;
- ascorbil tetraisopalmitato.
Types of Vitamin C Face Serums
On the market, vitamin C serums are not all the same: in fact, the speed of action is linked to the form in which vitamin C is formulated, its concentration, and the possible presence of other components within the product.
Face Serums with Vitamin C as an Exclusive Component
Being a molecule very sensitive to light, heat and oxygen, the vitamin C present in the serums can degrade until it loses its beneficial activity.
A similar effect can be generated when vitamin C is formulated together with other substances (eg stabilizers, additives, preservatives, pH correctors or molecules with different solubility).
Therefore, for preserve the integrity of vitamin C, serums are available on the market containing vitamin C - or other antioxidant vitamins - as the only constituent: for example, vitamin C may represent the only active ingredient contained in special single-dose biphasic vials.
How does it work?
Inside each biphasic single-dose vial, vitamin C is reduced to a powder, and enclosed inside the cap-tank: as it is, vitamin C is not active, therefore, in the bottle below, an activating solution can be found. .
Before use, the powder will need to be mixed with the solution below - in this way, they come preserve biological assets of vitamins, until the moment of application on the skin.
Generally, to ensure the skin a complete antioxidant treatment, it is recommended to cyclically alternate the application of the bottles of antioxidant vitamins (Vitamin A, C and E): in this way, the skin can benefit from the beneficial properties of the individual antioxidant vitamins, day after day.
Face Serums with Vitamin C and other Components
In other face serums, vitamin C can be associated with various functional ingredients, some aimed at enhancing the action of the same vitamin C, others aimed at carrying out further functions.
For example, in a bottle of mixed serum, in addition to vitamin C, substances such as:
- Vitamin A (retinol): effective for strengthening the anti-acne and smoothing effect on the skin;
- Vitamin E: effective for enhancing the antioxidant action of vitamin C;
- hyaluronic acid: used for its moisturizing and elasticising activities, useful for ensuring elasticity and hydration to the skin, as well as preventing the appearance of small wrinkles;
- collagen: it is a very important connective tissue protein which, added to the formula, givesstrength and structure to the skin, promoting skin tone, and fighting wrinkles;
- alpha-hydroxy acids: they strengthen the lightening action of vitamin C, exfoliating the skin and smoothing the scars left by acne;
- SPF: are the sun protection factors;
- glycerin: gives the skin a younger appearance and strengthens the action of vitamin C reducing the signs of aging;
- essential oils: they are added to the formulas of serums in small doses, to improve the fragrance or to enrich the cosmetic product with further properties.
Application of the Face Serum
To apply the vitamin C serum correctly, it is advisable to respect the following steps:
- remove all traces of make-up and face impurities using a specific product (eg cleansing milk, micellar water, tonic, etc.);
- dry your face with a cotton cloth;
- apply the serum: unscrew the measuring cap and distribute 2-3 drops of serum on the face, tapping the fingers on the skin for a homogeneous application. In case of particularly sensitive skin, wait 10-15 minutes before applying the serum;
- complete the facial treatment by applying the habit cream (e.g. moisturizer, cream for mature skin, cream for oily skin, etc.).
Did you know that ...
For those suffering from very sensitive skin, it is recommended to perform a skin patch test before applying the product on the face to observe how the skin reacts to the product.
Safety and adverse reactions
Vitamin C Safety
Vitamin C has a excellent safety profile 9: in fact, most users of vitamin C serum do not observe significant side effects.
Furthermore, vitamin C appears to be safe and well tolerated by the skin even when used in combination with other skin active ingredients, such as alpha-hydroxy acids, retinoids (vitamin A and derivatives), vitamin E and SPF.
Any adverse reactions associated with the use of vitamin C serums may depend on the concentration of the molecule in the solution or on the type of skin.
Those who suffer from particularly sensitive skin can experience phenomena of local irritation / redness 9.
Some allergic or hypersensitivity reactions can be caused by the presence of other substances (e.g. perfumes, essential oils, etc.) present in the formula.
Ideal Vitamin C Serum
Safe Shopping Tips
In order to be defined as "quality", a vitamin C serum should meet these characteristics:
- be gentle to the skin, therefore, avoid causing hypersensitivity reactions / skin redness;
- be formulated with active ingredients and components "Made in Italy";
- not be tested on animals;
- be formulated with natural substances;
- be free of preservatives or artificial additives;
- Having a adequate price, not exaggerated but not excessively cheap;
- be formulated with an adequate concentration of vitamin C: beware of too concentrated formulas, especially for those suffering from sensitive, dehydrated and dry skin;
- be sold in packs of dark glass or other opaque material, able to preserve the active ingredients from the light;
- declare the list of ingredients on the label: la Vitamin C should appear in the top 5 ingredients of the composition.
X115® ACE | Face Serum | Pure Vitamin C
Buy on Amazon
X115® ACE revolutionizes the use of Beauty Vitamins A | C | AND.
The Pure Vitamin Complexes are enclosed and protected in the Tank Cap. By screwing the cap, the Vitamins integrate with the Carrying / Illuminating Boosters, with pearl and diamond dust.
The mono-concentration in 3 distinct formulas allows them to be conveyed to the skin high vitamin dosages used in aesthetic medicine, in the purest and most effective state.
Tips for more beautiful skin
Enhance the Action of Vitamin C Serum
Despite the undisputed potential of vitamin C serums, it is important to maintain the natural beauty of the skin for a long time, protecting it from UV rays and premature aging. "heal" the skin from the inside following one healthy lifestyle and eating adequately.
For this reason, in support of local treatment with vitamin C serums, it is recommended to:
- drink a lot of water;
- avoid smoking and alcohol;
- to practise sport regularly;
- avoid excesses and "junk food";
- eat foods rich in vitamin C;
- to hire foods rich in collagen (eg octopus, isinglass);
- to hire hyaluronic acid / collagen / vitamin C supplements by mouth;
- remove lo stress, by signing up for yoga, pilates or relaxation courses.
Although it is not possible to stop the inexorable progress of the biological clock, simple strategies can be implemented aimed at slowing down its progress:constant use of vitamin C serums seems to be an excellent solution to postpone the appearance of the imperfections of time, improving the appearance of the skin.
However, please note the importance of following an adequate lifestyle, ensuring the body is properly hydrated by drinking plenty of water and following a healthy and balanced diet.Sponsored Content: healthiergang.com features products and services that can be purchased online on Amazon and / or other e-commerce sites. Whenever a purchase is made through one of the links on the page, healthiergang.com could receive a commission from Amazon or from the other e-commerce companies mentioned. We inform you that the prices and availability of the products are not updated in real time and may change over time, so we invite you to check availability and price on Amazon and / or on other e-commerce mentioned.