Setting goals can improve your quality of life. Here are the smart goals for a healthier lifestyle.
Last update: October 23, 2020
According to a growing body of research, genetics play a limited role in our well-being. To enjoy good health, it is more important to follow a healthy lifestyle; setting smart goals in this regard helps us to set it best.
Thanks to some healthy habits, we can achieve a better balance. The key points are a balanced diet, physical exercise, less exposure to pollutants and doing all those activities that help us calm stress and improve the quality of our life.
Science tells us that, beyond genetic inheritance, the decisions we make and the influence of the surrounding environment can change the composition of the epigenome, that is the set of molecules that adhere to the DNA chain and that affect well-being.
What are the smart goals?
Scientific research Lifestyle, not genetics, explains most premature heart disease analyzed the lifestyle of over 1000 volunteers. It found that aspects such as smoking, lack of physical activity, diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol are decisive risk factors in the development of heart disease, much more than genetics.
In other words, healthy habits are very important. The aforementioned study ensures that lifestyle plays a crucial role in being able to age well. It is a factor that outweighs the genetic inheritance received at birth.
In this sense, it is very useful to set a series of intelligent goals. The main areas in which we must move are physical activity and nutrition.
Let's start with smart goals in nutrition. How do you set up a healthy diet? Here are some habits that can make a difference.
- Eat right: chew well, calmly while savoring the food.
- No to negativity. It's important to stay positive and, of course, set realistic goals to avoid frustration.
- Let us be helped by technology. Some mobile apps keep track of the foods we eat. They can help you eat a healthy diet.
- Avoid sugars. If the drink is too sweet, it should be discarded.
- Acqua. It comes before any other drink, especially sugary ones.
- Small can. Don't want to give up carbonated or sweet drinks? However, avoid large packages.
Fruits and vegetables
- The salad must accompany all meals.
- Industrial foods must be replaced by fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Is critical eat some vegetables for dinner.
- Fruit replaces sweets (ice cream, biscuits, etc.).
“Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are”.
– Anthelme Brillat-Savarin –
- Wholemeal bread is better than white bread.
- Buy brown rice.
- Always choose whole grain products.
Set some smart goals for exercise as well. The following habits allow you to keep your body in a better state of health.
Avoid a sedentary lifestyle
- Walk for at least ten minutes every morning.
- Accessories such as the pedometer provide a variety of useful data, such as the distance traveled.
- Perform some daily tasks on your feet for avoid staying seated all the time. For example, read while pedaling on an exercise bike, etc.
Increase aerobic activity
- Walk or jog at least a couple of times a week.
- A short walk after dinner can be of great help.
- Spend 30 minutes a week on weight lifting.
- Remember to also include bodyweight exercises, such as squats or pushups.
- Contact a personal trainer if you need further guidance.
These are some smart goals for a healthier lifestyle. Remember that with these simple steps you can greatly improve your body health, general well-being and mental balance.