Diuretic supplements they help to increase the expulsion of urine. In certain cases, they turn out useful to fight ailments which can jeopardize the well-being of the organism. Let's find out better.
> 1. What are diuretics
> 2. The properties of diuretics
> 3. Dietary diuretics
> 4. Diuretic phytotherapeutic supplements
Celery among the diuretic food supplements
What are diuretics
Diuretics are substances capable of increase the expulsion of urine. Generally, a diuretic is defined as any substance or preparation capable of acting on the urinary tract, increasing diuresis.
Excretion is a completely natural physiological process through which the body eliminates useless or toxic substances by expelling them to the outside. This is possible thanks to organs and biochemical mechanisms suitable for carrying out this function.
These organs, called buyer, are: skin, intestine, liver, urinary system, respiratory system and pancreas. Instead, i excretion products they are urea, ammonia, uric acid and proteins.
Properties of diuretics
Diuretics have the following properties:
- They increase the rate of urinary flow and natriuresis (increased sodium excretion rate).
- They modify the excretion of various ions such as potassium, hydrogen, chlorine, carbonates and uric acid.
The therapeutic use of diuretic supplements is indicated in pathologies in which there is an alteration in the volume and / or composition of body fluids such as: mild and moderate hypertension, heart and kidney failure, nephrotic syndrome and cirrhosis.
Also find out about symptoms, causes and remedies for urinary retention
Diuretic foods they are those able to favor the elimination of excess fluids and toxins through the urine.
The diuretic effect it is usually determined by a very high content of water, potassium, caffeine, vitamin C and B6. Conversely, foods that cause bloating are those that hold water, such as salt, sodium, sugar, and complex carbohydrates.
Here is a list of foods that have very marked diuretic properties.
- Ananas: thanks to bromelain it is able to make even complex proteins digestible.
- Celery: from the purifying action, it consists of 90% water.
- Green tea: with a very strong diuretic action.
- Cucumbers: with purifying and refreshing properties, it is composed of over 95% water.
- Carciofi: useful for the liver, it promotes bile secretion as well as diuresis.
- Onion: also useful against urinary tract infections.
- Asparagus: contains asparagine, useful as a depurative and against water retention.
- Apple cider vinegar: Used as a condiment, it maintains a good balance of potassium levels
- Blueberry juice: useful against excess fluids.
- Brussels sprouts: contain calcium and potassium.
- Beets: attack the fat deposits of the body.
- carrots: with a tonic and purifying action, they contain potassium, calcium and magnesium.
- Oats: rich in silica which is a natural diuretic.
- Tomatoes: they contain a lot of vitamin C.
- Melon: useful for purifying the body thanks to its water, potassium and sodium content.
- Lettuce: contains calcium, manganese, iron, chromium, potassium, and phosphorus.
- Garlic: it is a natural diuretic useful against the elimination of fat.
- Watermelon: very rich in water.
- Fennel: it has a carminative as well as a diuretic action.
It is good avoid foods that contain a lot of salt, fried foods, meat, fatty cheeses, alcohol, sweets and carbonated drinks.
Valuable help can come from steam cooking, which keeps all the characteristics of the food unaltered and allows you not to use condiments. A slight diuresis can be obtained from a diet low in sodium chloride.
Diuretic phytotherapeutic supplements
In phytotherapy there are several medicinal plants with strong diuretic properties, among them we remember:
- Dandelion: the leaves are known to have a diuretic effect, and it is no coincidence that they are used for draining herbal teas. Furthermore, this plant is also very useful in case of cystitis and urinary tract infections.
- Nettle: has diuretic properties that facilitate the elimination of waste.
- Horsetail: rich in mineral salts, it promotes diuresis.
Discover also the properties of pilosella, a diuretic plant
Other articles on natural diuretic supplements:
> What are diuretic herbal teas?
> Mate tea: the natural diuretic