Mushrooms, how to avoid surprises

Mushrooms, how to avoid surprises

Hundreds of cases of mushroom poisoning are recorded every year and unfortunately sometimes the outcome is fatal. However, the unpleasant encounter with poisonous mushrooms is absolutely avoidable and the precautions to be taken to avoid bringing them to the table are few and simple.


Then they exist further attention to avoid other surprises which, although not lethal, can be very unpleasant.

 

Contact the ASL

Most mushroom pickers and townspeople feel so skilled that they don't have their crops checked before consuming or offering it to family and friends. The edibility of mushrooms should be checked by going to the local ASL.


The same is true when receiving as a gift mushrooms collected by others they plundered in the woods but they did not carry out the checks in the appropriate places.

The service at the ASL is free and accessible to all, why not take advantage of it?

 

Read also Mushrooms, how to grow them at home >>

 

The mechanisms of mushroom poisoning

Poisoning from ingestion of poisonous mushrooms not checked by a mycologist it is the most dangerous form of intoxication from mushrooms, but it is not the only one.


Other mechanisms of intoxication are:

> Ingestion of edible mushrooms not properly cooked. For example, the nails (Armillaria mellea) should be boiled before being added to any recipe; there are also other species that must be cooked for a sufficiently long period, for example Boletus luridus, Amanita vaginata and Clitocybe nebularis.

> Ingestion of edible mushrooms damaged.

> Consumption of mushrooms with hallucinogenic qualities. In the case of fhallucinogenic angles intoxication can also occur in ways other than ingestion.


 

The quantities of fungi that poison and some advice

As for poisonous mushrooms, a minimal amount is sufficient.

As for, however, the risks related to edible mushrooms should be pay attention to freshness, correct cooking methods and avoid excessive consumption both in terms of frequency and quantity.

Toxins from poisonous mushrooms are not destroyed by cooking or freezing. By drying them, the toxin becomes concentrated and they become even more risky.


Attention also to the mushrooms in Oil, which must be prepared using a sufficient amount of vinegar to prevent the formation of botulinum toxin.

Mushrooms stored in the freezer must be consumed within two months at the latest. Children and pregnant women should be especially careful when consuming mushrooms, even the most valuable ones.

 

What to do if you feel bad

If after the consumption of mushrooms, symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, severe abdominal pain and diarrhea assistance should be sought immediately.

If the symptoms appear after having ingested mushrooms grown or checked by the mycologist at the local health company, it is sufficient to contact the attending physician. If, on the other hand, you feel bad after eating uncontrolled mushrooms, it is essential to go to the emergency room immediately closer by taking with it the residues of the mushrooms consumed, including the parts that were discarded during cleaning.



Read also Trumpets of the dead, the recipes >>

 

add a comment of Mushrooms, how to avoid surprises
Comment sent successfully! We will review it in the next few hours.

End of content

No more pages to load