Granola is a complete and nutritious food, useful for starting the day with the right energy! Let's find out better.
- What is muesli
- Types of muesli
- Properties and benefits of muesli
- How much muesli to eat per day
- Muesli recipe
- How to store muesli
What is muesli
It muesli it is a mixture of cereals and dried fruit, mainly oat flakes and walnuts or hazelnuts.
It is mostly used for breakfast, in combination with yogurt or milk, in fact, its composition is ideal for starting the day with the right energy, providing carbohydrates, fiber and good fats.
You can also use it for one tasty and satiating snack, but it is important to pay attention to the quantities, considering that the calories in muesli are on average high.
Types of muesli
In addition to classic muesli with dried fruit, there are now several varieties of muesli:
- Fruit muesli;
- chocolate muesli;
- goji berry muesli;
- pumpkin seed muesli;
- protein muesli, made with the addition of protein powder.
Starting from a base of oat flakes and dried fruit in shell, the ingredients of the muesli are very variable: you can find muesli enriched with other cereals, such as spelled, barley etc., dehydrated fruit, such as raisins, banana or coconut and chocolate flakes.
For a well-balanced breakfast or snack, it is very important to pay attention to the list of ingredients on the label and the amount of added and total sugars.
Properties and benefits of muesli
Granola can be a good option for a breakfast or snack healthy and complete. Here are some benefits of muesli:
- Thanks to the presence of good fats and fibers, has a high satiating power and, combining it with yogurt or milk (which provide proteins), you get to compose a well-balanced and complete meal.
- Thanks to the presence of the good fats contained in dried fruit in shell and the fibers present in both cereals and dried fruit, promotes cardiovascular health.
- In case of celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, you can opt for a gluten free muesli, made, for example, with gluten-free oat flakes.
How much muesli to eat per day
For the muesli it can be considered an average portion of about 40 g per day, which can be used in a single meal (eg at breakfast), or by dividing it into two mini portions of 20 g, which can be distributed between breakfast and snack.
It should be emphasized that the portions of any food must be customized according to your nutritional needs.
Making muesli at home is really very simple and it will be necessary to mix a series of cereal flakes, dried fruit in shell and, possibly, dehydrated fruit or chocolate, according to your tastes.
Here is an example of homemade granola:
Ingredients for 1 person
- 4 tablespoons of oat flakes or other cereal;
- 1 tablespoon of shredded coconut;
- 1 tablespoon of chocolate flakes;
- 1 tablespoon of flaked almonds.
- Mix all the ingredients in a cup and in the morning, pour some milk or vegetable drink of your choice or a yogurt, leaving it to soak for about 10 minutes.
- If necessary, add some fresh fruit and / or toasted seeds.
How to store muesli
Muesli can be stored in an airtight jar for several weeks.
The properties of flax seeds, perfect addition to muesli
Other articles on muesli:
The muesli among the natural DIY snacks
Among the ingredients of a correct vegetarian diet, also discover muesli
Muesli, the recipe
Bibliography and sources
Beta Glucan: Health Benefits in Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome, Journal of nutrition and metabolism
Oatmeal consumption is associated with better diet quality and lower body mass index in adults: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 2001-2010, Nutrition Research