According to the data of theWorld Health Organization, about 35% of cancer cases is related to a wrong diet. Let food be your medicine and let your medicine be your food, he said Hippocrates. Eat well, along with a proper lifestyle, helps prevent many types of diseases, including cancers.
The rules of the cancer diet
The rules of proper nutrition can be summarized in the following essential points
- Reduce your fat intake, in particular animal fats
- Follow a diet that contains many vegetables, very rich in antioxidants
- Keep the body weight in the norm.
A diet too rich in fats and sugars causes an increase in fat mass, this is dangerous because it is in body fat that the toxic substances underlying the body accumulate.chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation is the pathological mechanism underlying many diseases, including cardiovascular disorders and cancer. Preventing chronic inflammation means above all avoiding an accumulation of body fat. Preventing chronic inflammation means helping your body defend itself from the most common diseases.
Fruits and vegetables are very low in fat and rich in substances very useful to the body: vitamins, fibers e antioxidants. The latter have the ability to neutralize the action of free radicals, substances which, if produced in excessive quantities, cause cell damage.
The antioxidant power of food is known and can be measured with a so-called scale ORAC, acronym for Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity.
Find out when Cancer Day is
Cancer Preventive Foods: What Are They?
Among the cancer preventive foods, those listed below certainly appear, particularly rich in antioxidants.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sultana grapes
- White grapes
- Green Beans
In general, however, all fruit and vegetables, especially seasonal ones. Variety is also important - the more fruits and vegetables we consume, the more we protect ourselves against cancer and other diseases.
In a context of healthy eating, the organism should be assured at least 5000 ORAC per day. Let's take some examples: a cup of blueberries contains 3.480 ORAC, a cup of cooked green cabbage contains 2.048, 100 grams of sage have 32.004, a kiwi provides 458, a tablespoon of sultana 396, 1 plum 484 (data traits from LILT).
Preventive foods against cancer: extra virgin olive oil
THEextra virgin olive oil it is the king of cancer preventive foods, for a whole series of characteristics, which we are going to list
- It is very rich in antioxidants.
- It provides essential fatty acids, that is, those fatty acids that the body is unable to produce, but which are indispensable to it.
- Facilitates the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K).
- It is able to increase the plasma concentration of lycopene, of which i tomatoes. It has been shown that the quantity of lycopene, a substance considered important in the prevention of cancer, increases considerably if the tomato is cooked in extra virgin olive oil. The sauce with fresh tomato and olive oil, typical of the Mediterranean diet, is therefore one of the anti-cancer dishes par excellence.
- It helps protect the skin from solar radiation, as it reduces the production of free radicals of the skin exposed to the sun.
- It is the most digestible of fats and, thanks to its action, it helps to preserve the health of the intestinal mucosa.
Guanàbana, anti-cancer fruit?
| Margherita Russo